type unknown - how important is it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shachar Shemesh
Subject type unknown - how important is it?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have a complaint from an OLE DB user that when he does "select 'a'",
he gets an "unhanded type" error. Since OLE DB uses a binary interface,
it has to know about all variable types that pass through it.

The debug information for the problem show that the returned type is
705, which is "unknown". My question is - what is "unknown" used for? Is
it important to support binary send and receives with this type? Does
postgresql know how to convert it to other types?

I was under the impression that 'a' would be "text". Why is "unknown"
used instead?
            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh