Re: SAN performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Hammond
Subject Re: SAN performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
I'm about to do a whole bunch of testing here on various DA element
sizes, and datablock sizes and how the affect pg performance. It doesn't
appear possible to get > 4kb filesystem blocks under linux due to the
limitation of the pagesize. We're running AMD64 for these tests, but the
DA configuration should be pretty much identical for IA32.

My best guess right now is that recompiling pg with a 4kb datablock
size, and using 4kb filesystem blocks with an 8 sector (4kb) element
size is probably the way to go for an active database.

Contact me off-list if you want a copy of the EMC CLARiiON "Best
Practices for Fiber Channel Storage" white paper. Haven't read it since
I only got my copy this morning, but... looks promising.

Drew