Re: books/sites for someone really learning PG's advanced - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: books/sites for someone really learning PG's advanced
Date
List pgsql-general
Miles Keaton wrote:
> I'm switching to PostgreSQL from MySQL.  Using the SAMs book called
> PostgreSQL which has been great to skim the surface of the
> differerences.
>
> I had never even heard of things like triggers, views, and foreign keys before.
>
> Any recommended books or websites (or exercises) that would really
> help someone get to know not just the basics of how these advanced
> features work, but some real in-depth insight into how to USE them for
> real work?

I'd start out with:

http://www.acm.org/classics/nov95/toc.html

Unfortunately, the ACM doesn't have the complete paper online.

Then read:

C.J. Date, An Introduction to Database Systems

Or skip over the Intro book and read:

C.J. Date, A Guide to the SQL Standard

Here's a good link for problems caused due to lack of normalization:

http://209.197.234.36/db/simple.html

You'll see that views and foreign keys are fundamental to ensuring
consistency and handling data with normalized base tables. You should
try to achieve logical consistency in your design without using triggers
through the use of domain constraints, column and table constraints and
referential integrity constraints. Failing to enforce consistency at
that point, triggers can be used to enforce such things as what Date
calls database constraints. I.e.: if a department has a budget of under
1000, there should not exist more than 5 employees.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari