Re: [GENERAL] Is "query" a reserved word in 8.3 plpgsql? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Is "query" a reserved word in 8.3 plpgsql?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Todd A. Cook" <tcook@blackducksoftware.com> writes:
> I saw the item in the release notes about the new "return query"
> syntax in pl/pgsql, but I didn't see any note about "query" being
> reserved now.  Perhaps an explicit mention should be added?

Yeah, I got burnt by that too.  I have a bad feeling that that keyword
is going to cause trouble for a lot of people.

[ thinks for a bit... ]  It might be possible to get rid of the keyword
and have RETURN QUERY be recognized by an ad-hoc strcmp test, much like
the various direction keywords in FETCH have been handled without making
them real keywords.  It'd be a bit uglier but it'd avoid making QUERY
be effectively a reserved word.