Re: Supporting Encryption in Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: Supporting Encryption in Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Murat Kantarcioglu wrote:

> For our research project, I need to implement an encryption support for
> Postgressql. At this current phase, I need to at least support page
> level  encryption In other words, each page that belongs to a certain
> sensitive table will be stored encrypted on the harddisk.
> Since we are trying to have a new design that can start the decryption
> before even we see the data, I need to have some kind of thread support.

I have to say that this is becoming an important problem in the European
market. In Italy for example the law impose that if you store personal
data about your customers then this information shall be stored in an
encrypted form. The bast way I found to accomplish this is using an
encrypted file system. Google for "cryptoloop" or if you are brave enough
look for StegFS.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola