New PostgreSQL questions... - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Chari Clark
Subject New PostgreSQL questions...
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

I've been testing PostgreSQL v8.0 on my Win2000 machine and it seems
pretty stout.  However, I have come across some issues that concern me:

1.  All earlier versions of PostgreSQL are able to be editted via an ssh
Shell or some other Unix-based platform.  But when I try to edit any of
my data, the only way to edit it is through pgAdmin.  I know this may be
because I'm running PostgreSQL on my personal machine with no Unix
platform, but is there some way, or is a version of a Unix platform
included on this latest version? (this is just for all of us who still
prefer doing a CREATE TABLE to a point, click, and copy through a wizard.)

2.  Is there a way to replicate databases across different servers?  One
of the positive things that I found with SQL Server 2000 (forgive me) is
that it has a pretty good interface, both GUI and backend, for allowing
replication.  I know that a few different groups are already working on
this, but I would like to find out if this functionality is included on
this new version of PostgreSQL.

3.  Is there a way to cluster servers?  Again, taking a page from SQL
Server, clustering allows some good functions which help in maintaining
that server access is almost completely constant.  From keeping up with
GBorg, I know that this, too, has been considered by other groups.  I'm
just not sure if this has been created for this new version.

Just a few concerns from an IT guy.

Thanks,

Chari Clark
Database Administrator