Re: Re: BUG #13541: There is a visibility issue when run some DDL and Query. The time window is very shot - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: BUG #13541: There is a visibility issue when run some DDL and Query. The time window is very shot
Date
List pgsql-bugs
zhangjinyu <beijing_pg@163.com> writes:
> The DDL query(alter ...set data type ) rewrites all tuples with new
> transaction xid,  so if the transaction isolation level is repeatable read,
> that will cause wrong result.

Yes.  This is unlikely to change, but we ought to document it.

I see that we have documentation warning about this sort of effect in the
TRUNCATE reference page, but not in ALTER TABLE's.  Rather than
copy-and-paste that, ISTM it'd be better to move the warning to somewhere
in mvcc.sgml.

            regards, tom lane