Re: Unicode string literals versus the world - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Unicode string literals versus the world
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Wouldn't we just then say that U&'' strings are always standard-
>>> conforming?
>>
>> That's exactly what's causing the problem --- they are, but there
>> is lots of software that won't know it.
>

> We could say U&'' escapes only work if you have
> standards_conforming_strings set to true.

Or say that if you have standards_conforming_strings false then any
string which contains a literal \ or ' is an error. You shouldn't ever
really need either since you could use the unicode escape for either
after all.

--
greg