Re: Saner interval hash function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Saner interval hash function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> The present implementation of interval_hash() is very carefully designed
> and coded ... to meet the wrong specification :-(.  What it should
> be doing is producing equal hashcodes for values that interval_eq()
> considers equal.  The error is exhibited in the recent bug report #4748.

It would be nice if we had a way to generate a lot of similar values
for a every data type. Then we could have a regression test which
checks for each data type that the hash function matches the equality
operator -- and for that matter that the various inequality operators
are also consistent.

I'm not sure how to generate values though. For a lot of data types it
would be hard to generate values densely enough to trigger any bugs.

--
greg