Re: Broken stuff in new dtrace probes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Broken stuff in new dtrace probes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Furthermore, an isExtend call doesn't actually do a read(), so lumping
> them together with regular reads doesn't seem like quite the right thing
> for performance measurement purposes anyway.  Maybe we actually ought to
> have different probes for isExtend and regular cases.

i like the idea of just have a separate pair of probes for table
extension. I bet there are people who would actually like to see that
alone sometimes too.

I'm sure these probes will be refined over time as we get more
experience analyzing with them. They don't have to be perfect right
away...

--
greg