Re: is 8.4 array_agg() supposed to work with array values? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: is 8.4 array_agg() supposed to work with array values?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:09 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> This would work much
> better if integer[][] where "array of integer[]", in the same way as
> integer[] is "array of integer", in the way C deals with arrays.

Well the situation in C is substantially more complicated than you
make out. I think the analogous situation in C is actually having an
array of integer* pointing to separately allocated arrays.

There are a number of places where Postgres has to special-case arrays
and array references (think of "update foo set bar[n] = baz" for
example) so I don't think it would work to just create the array type
for integer[] either.

--
greg