Re: WIP: default values for function parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: WIP: default values for function parameters
Date
Re: WIP: default values for function parameters  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: WIP: default values for function parameters  ("Pavel Stehule" <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 1:42 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What if relabeling support were to spread some more?
>
> The only example I can think of besides XML is JSON.  There might be a
> few more.  Basically, relabelling is a handy shortcut when you are
> serializing data and want to avoid specifying a list of columns and an
> (almost) identical list of labels.

The whole relabeling thing seems like a seriously silly idea. Why is
it at all a shortcut to use "AS" instead of "," ? The relabeling adds
zero actual expressiveness, it just makes a fancy way to pass an
argument.

--
greg