Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime() - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: log_filename_prefix --> log_filename + strftime()
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
>
>>Attached is a patch which replaces the 'log_filename_prefix' configuration
>>directive with a similar 'log_filename' directive.
>>    + changes the default log filename to exclude the PID;
>

> This would be better stated as "makes it impossible to use the PID
> in the file name".  While I'm prepared to grant that it may not be
> necessary to do so in many scenarios, I'm not very happy with
> arbitrarily removing the ability ... especially without giving any
> justification.

I don't have the time now to review the impact, but this might make
interpreting the log filename difficult or impossible, effectively
corrupting pg_logdir_ls.
I don't object against adjusting the timestamp format in a reasonable
way, but it should stay fixed; same about PID.

Regards,
Andreas