Re: Web application: Programming language/Framework - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: Web application: Programming language/Framework
Date
List pgsql-general
Just a little on the history of the tools might be helpful.  I think
that these environments are easy to criticize by people who are not
really aware of what the tools are really good for.

PHP:

This is worth noting in the context of this thread though fairly
off-topic for the list.

PHP was designed initially to be a sort of preprocessor for arbitrary
document types.  I don't really use it for much system scripting (Perl
is better for that) but for web applications, it works extremely well.
After all, most of your content may be static, and you are really
interested in modifying the static content by preprocessing it.

I prefer PHP because it can easily be embedded in arbitrary document
types and used to modify them.  I am starting to use it more and more
for LaTeX documents as well (though I have some automated tools which
can do more simple manupulations using Perl).  This is what the tool is
designed for.

Complaining about PHP's namespaces seems to me to be complaining about
the fact that a crescent wrench doesn't pound nails very well....  Not
that you can't pound nails with a crescent wrench but there are more
efficient ways to do it.

Perl:

Perl was originally designed as a tool for processing text files on a
UNIX system.  Bear in mind that this is an incredibly useful concept as
everything is a file :-).  It is also designed to take the information
and generate reports.  So early on, people discovered that Perl made a
pretty useful CGI programming environment because these tools make it
easy to generate HTML.  Like PHP, it has an extensive community and a
lot of add-on modules.  However, it is fundamentally different.

For an extremely complex web app I might consider using Perl if I needed
some sort of exotic functionality, like Kerberos integration.  Such is
usuallly cleaner than PHP extensions.

Perl also makes a wonderful language for automates system administration
tasks because of its text parsing capabilities and the fact that these
are integrated into the language as operators rather than functions.

Python:

Python is a generic programming environment.  I really like it where I
am not doing automated document preparation, or where I need something
far more general than automated document generation (PHP or Perl).  In
general, I prefer Python for interactive (non-web) applications.

Each of these environments has good PostgreSQL support.