Re: add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Travers
Subject Re: add-ons and kernelization was Time to work on
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Chris Travers wrote:
>

>>I understand the advantage of kernelization in PostgreSQL, but to
>>make this work, perhaps we need a community-maintained distribution
>>which includes many of these other add-ons.
>>

>There are plenty of distributions out there, some community maintained.
>Some do a better job at providing a complete set of PostgreSQL
>"add-ons" than others.  If you're interested in that sort of thing,
>join in the effort of your favorite distribution.
>
>About half a year ago I was thinking exactly the same thing as what you
>just wrote.  But I realized that there is virtually no room for a
>"PostgreSQL distribution" to live between people who always download
>the original sources and people who want the full service of their
>operating system's package management.  I have since joined a community
>maintained Linux distribution and now I have no problem getting all the
>PostgreSQL software I need.

Interesting analysis.  You might be right about market size.  However, I
was approaching this from another angle.  This discussion will focus on
a hypothetical Pgsql distrobution called "Blue Elephant."

People say "PostgreSQL has no replication."  They don't count add-ins
because they do not come with the product, no matter how we try to
convince them otherwise.  From a marketing perspective, it would be
really nice to say something like "Blue Elephant does have
replication."  If Blue Elephant is maintained by the community, then
this lends additional credibility towards enterprise features in PostgreSQL.

 From this angle, it is less important how many people *use* Blue
Elephant.  It is more important how many people are brought into the
PostgreSQL community because we can make a more creditable case that our
project meets their needs.  Blue Elephant then acts as a showcase for
what PostgreSQL can be, rather than what the toolkit that it is.

Perhaps a better question would be, do people see a showcase enterprise
distribution as something worth doing?  I do just from a marketing
perspective.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting