Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>>to mention three companies I've never heard of."
>>
>>"Oh, my beloved PostgreSQL is being taken over by evil corporations."
>>
>>Who cares about business momentum anyway?  Tell me about feature
>>momentum.
>

> Beautifully put.

But not accurately. Business people are an extremely important portion
of the community to please and one of the things that business people
like to see, are businesses backing a project.

Linux was not nearly as popular as it is today until people like RedHat
and SuSE made deals with people like IBM and Oracle.

> Should we expect that when linux kernel 3.0 is out that we'll see
> mentions of Red Hat and Novell selling great commercial versions that
> use kernel 3.0?

Actually I bet you will.

> In my opinion, I would stick to what is included in 8.0 when you
> download the package off the site. plPerlNG, plPHP, Slony-I, etc are all
> ADDONs and should be represented as such.

Well plPerlNG is in core and will be shipped with PostgreSQL 8. plPHp
and Slony-I are addons.

> Otherwise you get a bunch of
> people who didn't read the release properly, download it..install it and
> find that you dont see plPHP in contribs/ and where is this Slony
> replication they spoke of? Hmm, not in the source tree.

You are kidding right? People who are going to bother downloading the
source, compiling and installing will read know what they are getting.
The ones that don't are going to be an extremely small lot.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

I have to
> download it seperately...etc. For someone new to open source and/or
> postgresql this might come across as generating too much hype over 3rd
> party products (which these are). The 3rd party projects/products don't
> make PostgreSQL what is, they only help enhance it. *the cherry on top*
>
> my 2 cents,
>
> Robby

Attachment