Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>Well, it's time to start work on the 8.0 press release.   Who's
>>interested? Given the amount of coverage we have on the beta already,
>>I think we can do it here, on-list, until we get closer to the
>>release.
>

> I have an idea: Try to write the entire press release without using the
> word "enterprise".  It might be enlightening. :)

You know what... that is an amazingly valid point. Our market isn't
enterprise. Yes we have enterprise users, but we have far more that
are > 50,000,000 in sales a year.

Perhaps instead we should focus on what 8.0 will allow us to do:

Compete directly with Microsoft on their turf for a lower TCO.
Continue to compete more effectively with Oracle and DB2.

   And this is why:

   Continued increase in development interfaces:

        plPerlNG
                 plPHP
                 PlJava (big for Oracle converts)
                 ECPG (Now even more functional)

   Increased reliability:

        Replication options:
            Slony-I
            Mammoth Replicator
            DbMirror
        (I only mention three because they seem to be the only
        ones actually maintained consistly)

                 PITR

   Increased functionality:

        Nested transactions