Re: [GENERAL] How to know which queries are to be optimised? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ulrich Wisser
Subject Re: [GENERAL] How to know which queries are to be optimised?
Date
Re: [GENERAL] How to know which queries are to be optimised?  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
Re: [GENERAL] How to know which queries are to be optimised?  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-performance
Hi Bruno,

>>my web application grows slower and slower over time. After some
>>profiling I came to the conclusion that my SQL queries are the biggest
>>time spenders (25 seconds). Obviously I need to optimise my queries and
>>maybe introduce some new indexes.
>
> This sounds like you aren't doing proper maintainance. You need to be
> vacuuming with a large enough FSM setting.

I do a vacuum full analyze every night.
How can I see if my FSM setting is appropriate?

>>The problem is, that my application uses dynamic queries. I therefor can
>>not determine what are the most common queries.
>>
>>I have used the postgresql logging ption before. Is there a tool to
>>analyze the logfile for the most common and/or most time consuming queries?
>

> You can log queries that run for at least a specified amount of time.
> This will be useful in finding what the long running queries are.
> You can then use explain analyse to see why they are long running.

But is there a tool that could compile a summary out of the log? The log
grows awefully big after a short time.

Thanks

/Ulrich