Re: 8.0.0beta1: make check fails on solaris8 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Martin Münstermann
Subject Re: 8.0.0beta1: make check fails on solaris8
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> This seems quite bizarre: '          -INFINiTY   ' works but
> 'infinity' does not?  Please try in psql
>
>     \set VERBOSITY verbose
>      SELECT 'infinity'::float4;
>
> and send along the output.

It's even a little more bizarre:
When I start a fresh psql session, SELECT 'infinity'::float4 just works.
Then I \i sql/float4.sql, and after that
template1=# \set VERBOSITY verbose
template1=# SELECT 'infinity'::float4;
ERROR:  22P02: invalid input syntax for type real: "infinity"
LOCATION:  float4in, float.c:330

The infinity is broken ;-) after SELECT 'NaN'::float4;

BTW: Infinity works again after
SELECT '          -INFINiTY   '::float4;

> My best guess about it is that strtod() is actively broken on your
> platform, and is recognizing the "infinity" input but returning an
> incorrect endptr.  I seem to recall that we've heard of such bugs
> before.  Can you check for any updates from Sun that might affect
> strtod()?

Nothing found yet. But searching the web for "solaris strtod" yields,
that solaris strtod might behave in a special way...

Regards, Martin