psql: immediately exit after an error? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject psql: immediately exit after an error?
Date
Re: psql: immediately exit after an error?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Can psql be told to exit immediately after an error (especially when
doing commands from a file, -f)? This is the default behaviour of the
mysql client, except when we give it -f option ("force").

The problem is, when restoring a dump, a failure at the some point might
cause the subsequent commands to produce wrong results (e.g. I redefine
a builtin function with a plruby function with different behaviour, but
plruby failed to be installed due to wrong path. Thus the subsequent
commands are executed using the builtin function which is not the
expected one.) Furthermore, you can't check on psql exit code to see
whether _any_ command was not successfully executed.

Of course one should examine the full psql output after a restore
anyway, and the option to exit immediately after an error can save time
(especially for large dumps).

--
dave