Re: Extending varlena - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extending varlena
Date
Re: Extending varlena  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Extending varlena  (Jeremy Drake <pgsql@jdrake.com>)
Re: Extending varlena  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> What would need to happen for the next jump up from where varlena is
> now, to 8 bytes?

Dealing with upwards-of-4GB blobs as single Datums isn't remotely sane,
and won't become so in the near (or even medium) future.  So I don't
see the point of doing all the work that would be involved in making
this go.

What would make more sense is to redesign the large-object stuff to be
somewhat modern and featureful, and provide stream-access APIs (think
lo_read, lo_seek, etc) that allow offsets wider than 32 bits.  The main
things I think we'd need to consider besides just the access API are

- permissions features (more than "none" anyway)
- better management of orphaned objects (obsoleting vacuumlo)
- support > 16TB of large objects (maybe partition pg_largeobject?)
- dump and restore probably need improvement to be practical for such large data volumes