Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?  (Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> The name has evolved from \dcp over various longer \d-things to the
> more verbose \dconfig. How about we evolve it even more and just call
> it \config?

I think people felt that it should be part of the \d family.
Also, because we have \connect and \conninfo, you'd need to
type at least five characters before you could tab-complete,
whereas \dconfig is unique at four (you just need \dco).

> I would think that if \dconfig showed the non-default settings only,
> it would be much more useful; the full list would still be available
> with "\dconfig *". This is in line with \dt only showing tables on the
> search_path, and "\dt *.*" showing all.

Hm, I could get on board with that -- any other opinions?
(Perhaps there's an argument for omitting "override"
settings as well?)