Re: Truncation Problems - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Truncation Problems
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Jeremy D Carlson <jeremy@gustavus.edu> writes:
> We are having problems with information we are inserting into our
> database being truncated.  This information is being inserted via the
> web through Apache 1.3.6 while using ColdFusion 4.0.1's ODBC interface
> into a PostgreSQL 7.0.2 database.  It is being truncated in a couple of
> ways.  Sometimes, after so many characters, the information is truncated
> in each column.  Other times, the information for the last part of the
> insertion string is lost.  These insertions usually contain a couple
> paragraphs of information for each column.  We haven't had any problem
> with short insertions.  Neither ColdFusion nor PostgreSQL return an
> error on a truncation.  We occasionally will receive a "query string too
> long" error from PostgreSQL, but no information is actually inserted
> into the database.  The query string error is also confusing because
> each column should be able to contain 1+GBs of information.

7.0.2 does not support "1+GBs" per column.  You need to update to 7.1.*
to have wide columns.

The error message "query string too long" is also suspicious, since that
string appears nowhere in either current or 7.0 sources.  I suspect you
are using obsolete client-side software (left over from 6.5 or before)
that still thinks Postgres has a query length limit.

            regards, tom lane