Re: 7.4RC2 PANIC: insufficient room in FSM - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4RC2 PANIC: insufficient room in FSM
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Arthur Ward" <award@dominionsciences.com> writes:
> I was a bit stunned last night when I found this in the server logs for a
> 7.4RC2 installation:

> Nov 24 20:37:18 x pg_autovacuum: [2003-11-24 08:37:18 PM] Performing:
> VACUUM ANALYZE "clients"."x"
> Nov 24 20:37:19 x postgres: [13904] PANIC:  insufficient room in FSM

We have seen reports of similar things in situations where the real
problem was that the lock table had gotten too big --- is it possible
that you had something going on in parallel that would have acquired
lots of locks?  If so, raising max_locks_per_transaction should avoid
the problem.

I'll look at whether we couldn't downgrade the failure to something
less than a PANIC, too ...

            regards, tom lane