Re: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics for wait event - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Egor Rogov
Subject Re: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics for wait event
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

that will be a great feature.

On 23.07.2018 10:53, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have comments about your patch.  First, I don't think that you need to
> count precisely the number of wait events triggered as usually when it
> comes to analyzing a workload's bottleneck what counts is a periodic
> *sampling* of events

If I get it right, this patch is not about sampling. It gathers
cumulative statistics, which is regrettably missing in PostgreSQL.
That's why it should not only count exact number of wait events, but
also min time and stddev would be helpful (as in pg_stat_statements).

--
Egor Rogov
Postgres Professional http://www.postgrespro.com