Re: DIfferent ORDER BY behaviour in 7.4.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gunasekaran Balakrishnan
Subject Re: DIfferent ORDER BY behaviour in 7.4.2
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks a lot Tom !!
Locale settings was the problem.

Thanks,
guna.

Tom Lane wrote:
Gunasekaran Balakrishnan <guna@motorola.com> writes:
     I am seeing a different sorting behaviour for varchar columns in
Postgres 7.4.2.
postgres 7.4.2 is ignoring case for varchar columns for "ORDER BY"
commands where as 7.2.2 is not.
Check your locale settings.

IIRC, --enable-locale was not default in 7.2 days, but it is default
(in fact mandatory) now.  So it's possible that the 7.2 installation
doesn't have locale support at all and is defaulting to C-locale
behavior.  If your 7.2 was built with locale support, then it was
probably initdb'd under a different locale setting than your 7.4 was.
In 7.4 you can just do "show lc_collate" to check, but in 7.2 I think
you have to use pg_controldata (or in a pinch, "strings pg_control")
to find out what locale it's using.
		regards, tom lane