Re: How do I convice postgres to use an index? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Vic Ricker
Subject Re: How do I convice postgres to use an index?
Date
List pgsql-sql
The plan showed that Postgres did the proper cast on the timestamp.  I
think part of the problem is that I need to increase the memory
allocated to effective_cache_size for the optimizer choose the proper
method.  (Thanks to Richard Huxton for help.)  I've read that if it
doesn't have enough ram, it will forego the index for a sequential
scan..  In my case, that's a very poor decision on the optimizer's
part.  Disabling enable_seqscan seems to generally fix the problem but
I'm afraid that it might degrade performance elsewhere.  I have
expermiented with the effective_cache_size and some other settings but
haven't had as much luck.  I think I need more physical ram.  Will try
that soon.

-Vic