Re: bug in pg_dump ALTER DATABASE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: bug in pg_dump ALTER DATABASE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> As part of my testing, I noticed this bug.  My database has a
> search_path set in the database vars.  It dumps lik ethis:
>
> DROP DATABASE usa;
> CREATE DATABASE usa WITH TEMPLATE = template0 OWNER = usadmin ENCODING =
> 'LATIN1';
> ALTER DATABASE usa SET search_path TO 'public, contrib';
>
> Notice the single quotes around the TO bit?  That's completely broken.
> Those '' must not be there.
>
> Is a fix for this required for only search_path, or is it a more general
> problem?

So what are we going to do about this problem?

The pg_settings view does not have enough information to determine it
generically.  (It only says 'string', not 'list'...)

I propose that we modify pg_dumpall to hard-code the set of list-type
GUC variables for each backend version.

The current (CVS) list of such GUCs is:

* DateStyle
* preload_libraries
* search_path
* log_destination
* custom_variable_classes (probably doesn't need to be worried about)

Shall I go ahead and do this?

Chris