Re: please help me with text cast to int .... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Phil Endecott
Subject Re: please help me with text cast to int ....
Date
List pgsql-sql
Theodore,

Because jobnumber is declared as text, you are getting "dictionary
order" (lexicographic) ordering on the values.  In a dictionary, "abc"
comes after "aaaaaaaaa", obviously.  So indeed "999" will come after
"1000".  To get the effect that you want you need to treat jobnumber as
a number.  The easiest thing to do would be to change the declaration of
the table.  If for some reason you can't do that, you need to do a cast
in the query; that would make your WHERE expression work, but I don't
know about ORDER BY (look it up).

For example:
SELECT jobnumber, jobtitle FROM jobinfo WHERE
jobnumber::integer >= 200 ORDER BY jobnumber ASC;

Do you ever have non-numeric values in the jobnumber field?  (Is that
why it's declared as text?)  If you do you will get problems because
they cannot be converted to integers in order to perform the comparison.

Regards,

--Phil.