Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Swan
Subject Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Scott Marlowe wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 23:36, Greg Stark wrote:
>

>>"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net> writes:
>>

>>>Why not rollback all or commit all?
>>>
>>>I really really don't like subbegin and subcommit.  I get the feeling
>>>they'll cause more problems we haven't foreseen yet, but I can't put my
>>>finger on it.
>>>

>>Well I've already pointed out one problem. It makes it impossible to write
>>generic code or reuse existing code and embed it within a transaction. Code
>>meant to be a nested transaction within a larger transaction becomes
>>non-interchangeable with code meant to be run on its own.
>>

>Would a rollback N / abort N where N is the number of levels to rollback
>/ abort work?

Only, if you know the number of levels you are deep in the transaction.

"ROLLBACK n" and "ROLLBACK ALL" together would be good alternatives to
unwind nested transaction.  Perhaps a function for
pg_transaction_nested_level( ) or a pg_transaction_nested_level variable
could help in this.

Again, these are just opinions.