Re: Getting user who fired a trigger - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anton Nikiforov
Subject Re: Getting user who fired a trigger
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the replay, Richard.

Richard Huxton wrote:
> Anton Nikiforov wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>> I have made a trigger procedure that logs all table's changes to the
>> log_table in XML format, but i do need to log a user who did that and
>> not succsessful with this.
>> The documentation (including "37.10. Trigger Procedures") give me
>> nothing.
>> Could somene supply me with a solution or documentation part that i
>> should read?
>

> Can't remember which part it is, but you want one of:
>   SELECT CURRENT_USER;
>   SELECT SESSION_USER;
test=# SELECT CURRENT_USER;
  current_user
--------------
  anton
(1 row)

test=# SELECT SESSION_USER;
  session_user
--------------
  anton
(1 row)

This gives the same output. Looks like i should check this with the real
operatins to understand the difference or RT*M more.

>> My trigger function is written in PL/Ruby because i found no way to
>> make a "table's structure independent function" with PL/pgsql.
>>
>> And one more question - is there any special type to store XML instead
>> of text? This question arised from the problem, that i'm planning (and
>> i do need this) to store all the database updation history and some
>> small procedures like adding a user will produce from 1 to 10 records
>> in the log table of text type. So updating of 1 byte will produce
>> kilobytes of text. So, maybe there is some compact type for XML
>> storing? (i know that i could pack it and store in zipped or other
>> format, but i would like to have a search possibility);
>

> Sorry, I don't think I understand. Do you want to store multiple
> versions of the same XML document?
> Or are you logging changes to non-XML data as XML text (and if so why)?

I'm storing XML prepared text in the database in the column of type
text. And the question is - is there some more wise way to do that? Like
column type XML maybe? :)

--
Best regads,
Anton Nikiforov