Re: [JDBC] Error in DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() with Views - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dario V. Fassi
Subject Re: [JDBC] Error in DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() with Views
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Stephan Szabo wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004, Kris Jurka wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Dario V. Fassi wrote:

In the sample adjunct, you can see that error arise at the time when the
view's sql text is parsed and saved in database catalog.
Then generic NUMERIC type is forced for every calculated column without
regard or precision.
And at execute time the f2 column has varying type decimals (in row 2
you can see 4 decimals and in other rows has 3 decimals), this is not a
behavior , this is an ERROR.
[Jumping in, because this was the first message of the thread I've seen]

Technically, the correct behavior by spec would be an
implementation-defined precision and a particular scale based on the
argument scales. So, having numeric(6,2)+numeric(6,2) return
numeric(65535, 2) is fine. Returning numeric(65535, 65531) isn't
technically, but I don't think this is an issue in the jdbc metadata
getting as much as an issue in the database proper.

I agree with all your spech but a  numeric data type like numeric(65535, 2) isn't a very serious return value.
A value like this could be usefull to eliminate the need of presicion specification in numeric data type too.
Of course it's a dabase proper issue , but impact in my needs in jdbc usability.
No matter what's technically or not, a behavior at this point like those of db2/oracle would be very nice ;-)