Re: LinuxTag wrapup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeroen T. Vermeulen wrote:
> That about covers the important stuff.  Some more for the "other" bucket
> (although they all came repeatedly):
>
>  - so how do I pronounce "Postgre"?

> On the "Postgre" point, I remarked to some friendly people (who are
> developing a content management system based on postgres, by the way)
> that we ought to have something like "just call me Postgres" posters in
> our booth.  It turned out they had the gear to cut stickers in letter
> shapes, so a little while later we actually had those words plastered
> over our booth walls.  I think we got most interested passers-by before
> they had a chance to read it, though.

I've argued for years that postgresql.org's front banner should read:

Postgres + SQL = PostgreSQL

The fact that novices can't pronounce the name correctly is a
problem. People will be afraid to raise the possibility as a
solution in the enterprise if they think they'll look like a fool
pronouncing the name aloud. I remember back in '94 being "corrected"
when talking about Linux in the enterprise - and I was corrected in
the wrong direction.

Someone needs to poke the propaganda minister with a stick.

Mike Mascari