Re: LinuxTag wrapup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: LinuxTag wrapup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Andreas Pflug <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:
>

>>- what about Oracle portability.
>>

>>IMHO we should rethink if we could make those people happy. How about a
>>loadable personality (IIRC SAPDB has something like that), to exchange
>>the parser in use with a custom one (by a SET command)? This way we have
>>a pure ansi default, while enabling a way so someone could contribute an
>>oracle style parser.
>>

>How about an external tool that helps in translating apps to
>SQL-standard syntax?  Oracle does accept the standard syntax after all.
>That way we are truly helping people liberate themselves: they can
>switch to any SQL-compliant database, not only Postgres.

Nice idea, but
- sources might not be accessible
- sources might not be easily readable (esp. if not embedded sql,
example pgadmin) or created dynamically.
- probably too many non-ansi compliant servers (i.e. pre-9) still in use.

Regards,
Andreas