Re: Internationalization - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject Re: Internationalization
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> Dennis Gearon <gearond@fireserve.net> writes:
>
>>Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>>The indexes on the shared system tables (eg, pg_database) are the only
>>>issue here.  One possible solution is to require that no locale-aware
>>>datatypes ever be used in these indexes.  I think right now this is true
>>>because "name" doesn't use locale-aware sorting; but we'd have to be
>>>careful not to break the restriction in future.
>>>

>>Tom what about table names? Isn't it part of the SQL spec to be able
>>to set table names to other langauges other than English?
>

> [shrug...]  So which language/encoding would you like to force everyone
> to use?
>
> The issue is not really whether you can create a database name that
> looks like however you want.  The issues are (a) what it will look like
> to someone else using a different encoding; and (b) how it will sort if
> you ask for "select * from pg_database order by datname", relative to
> someone else's database name that he thinks is in a different locale and
> encoding than you think yours is.
>
> AFAICT the Postgres user community is not ready to accept a "thou shalt
> use Unicode" decree, so I don't think that mandating a one-size-fits-all
> answer is going to fly.
>
>             regards, tom lane

So for now, my database is set up as:

show all shows
------------------
server encoding SQL_ASCII

I didn't see anything that said what the LC_COLLATE and LC_TYPE settings were when initdb was done.
How can I find that out?

in postgresql.conf
LC_MESSAGES = 'C'
LC_MONETARY = 'C'
LC_NUMERIC = 'C'
LC_TIME = 'C'

So I have what:
    8 bit encoding with standard ASCII ?
I can put what langauges in it?
It will sort in standard ASCII order, all not English characters will sort last?