Re: postgres 7.4 at 100% - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: postgres 7.4 at 100%
Date
List pgsql-performance
> I see - thanks very much. I created an index for column 'oid' which I
> was using in a WHERE.  So rule of thumb- create an index for column(s)
> which I use in WHERE queries.

So to speak.  They can also sometimes assist in sorting.  The OID column
is special.  I suggest adding a unique index to that column.  In
postgresql it is _possible_ for the oid counter to wraparound, hence if
you rely on oids (not necessarily a good idea), it's best to put a
unique index on the oid column.

I _strongly_ suggest that you read this:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/indexes.html

Chris