Re: minimum operators for b-tree, r-tree - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: minimum operators for b-tree, r-tree
Date
List pgsql-general
elein wrote:
> When creating a new data type, what are
> the operators absolutely necessary for that
> type to particpate in a btree index?
>
> I know you need a "compare" that says = < or >=
> so does that mean that those three operators
> are the ones required?

I don't remember the details, but here is a link to the pgsql-committers
post from when I submitted a patch to do the same for bytea.

   http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2001-08/msg00108.php
   CVSROOT:    /home/projects/pgsql/cvsroot
   Module name:    pgsql
   Changes by:    tgl ( at ) hub ( dot ) org    01/08/13 14:45:36

   Modified files:
    src/backend/utils/adt: selfuncs.c varlena.c
    src/include/catalog: catversion.h pg_amop.h pg_amproc.h
                         pg_opclass.h pg_operator.h pg_proc.h
    src/include/utils: builtins.h

   Log message:
    Add comparison operators and btree indexing support for type
         bytea. From Joe Conway.

You could go through cvs web to find the actual diffs, given the date
(13 Aug 2001):
   http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/

Joe