Re: About inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: About inheritance
Date
Re: About inheritance  (Rod Taylor <rbt@rbt.ca>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 06:58:36PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>The main reason why table inheritance is somewhat broken is that nobody
>>currently on -HACKERS seems to have any use for it.   I know that I don't use
>>it, and would not even were it fixed.   As a result, nobody is particularly
>>interested in fixing it.
>
> I wonder why it doesn't just get ripped out?

I hope not -- I think the underlying infrastructure could become the
basis of table partitioning. I have a project going on right now in
which we're porting ~700GB of data (forecast to become multi-TB over the
next year or so) from partitioned vendor-O tables to inherited Postgres
tables.

Joe