Re: Plperlu and sending emails, is it safe? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Plperlu and sending emails, is it safe?
Date
List pgsql-general
Philippe Lang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to send emails from Postgresql triggers.
>
> I was able to do it with a 'plperlu' function, that calls the 'system'
> perl function, that itself calls the 'mail' shell function.
>
> Is is safe to do things like this? Is there a possible concurrent access
> that could arise?

Not that I can think of, but "mail" will called as the postgres user,
which opens up a possible security hole.

> Another solution would be to use cron every 5 minutes, and read the
> content of a table.

This is my preferred solution, but there's plenty of discussion in the
archives about this.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd