(Fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From suspect.files@anr.state.vt.us
Subject (Fwd)
Date
List pgsql-general
Date sent:          25 Jun 2004 11:41:22 +0200
From:               Ago <ago@nmb.it>
To:                 <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Send reply to:      Ago <ago@nmb.it>
Subject:            [GENERAL]

I have a PHP script that runs this query on Postgresql 7.2.3. Once it
inserts the record in the e_catalog table it takes the id value and
then inserts it in the e_catalog_cache table, the two tables must
have
the same rows and values.
 I thought rhat inside a transaction block the subquery SELECT
MAX(id)
 FROM e_catalog was safe from concurrent same transactions, that
is
 the id value from SELECT MAX(id) FROM e_catalog was exactly
that one
 inserted in the previous statement, but reading some threads in this
 mailing list I have some doubt now.
This is the query:

BEGIN WORK;
 INSERT INTO e_catalog(id, name, descr) VALUES
(nextval('sequence'),
 '$Name', '$Descr');

 INSERT INTO e_catalog_cache(id, name, descr) VALUES
((SELECT MAX(id)
 FROM e_catalog), '$Name', '$Descr');

COMMIT WORK;

Thanks.

broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists
at once with the unregister command
    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to
    majordomo@postgresql.org)

Attachment