Normalising an existing table - how? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Graham Leggett
Subject Normalising an existing table - how?
Date
Re: Normalising an existing table - how?  (Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca>)
List pgsql-sql
Hi all,

I have an existing table containing a column in it containing a money
value. I would like to normalise this column into a separate table, as
the money value is to be expanded to contain a tax value, etc.

I have been trying to find a SQL query that will do the following:

- Select the money column from the table
- Populate the new normalised table with each row containing the value
from the original money column
- Write the primary keys of the new rows in the normalised table, back
to a new column in the original table added for this purpose.

This third step I am struggling with - can anyone suggest a query that
might achieve the writing back of the primary key to the original table?

Regards,
Graham