Re: [OT] Dilemma about OS <-> Postgres interaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [OT] Dilemma about OS <-> Postgres interaction
Date
List pgsql-general
> Assuming you are on a unix of some sort,  Two possible solutions come
> immediately to mind.
>
> 1) Fire off a non-looping version of your perl scrip from crontab
>
> 2) Run your looping perl script from the inittab.

Be very careful here at least if you are running Linux. Linux init is
notorious for self made DOS attacks. Basically the init runs out of
control because of a bad script and brings the machine to it's knees.

> the crontab solution would be my preference: it's easier to set up the job
> to run under a user other than root, and you can tailor when your script
> runs (say every 5 minutes between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM Monday to Friday).
>
> In both cases, you'd probably want to add some tests to see if your database
> was up before trying to connect

Attachment