Re: tablespaces and schemas - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Sidney-Woollett
Subject Re: tablespaces and schemas
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually, you *can* write your SQL to be ignorant of schemas (while
still using them because they are good).

In postgres, you specifiy a search path for the user you connect as and
make sure that have the appropriate access rights to objects in other
schemas, and that the other schemas exist in your search path so that
the objects can be located.

In Oracle the same effect is achieved using synonyms. If a (public)
synonym exists in your schema for an object in another schema then you
can reference the object by the synonym name - especially if you make
the synonym name the same as the destination object that it refers to.
(A synonym can be considered to be like a symbolic link in unix).

The upshot is that you can write your SQL to reference objects without
the schema prefix if you wish.

John Sidney-Woollett