Re: thread safety tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: thread safety tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6/9/2004 1:04 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> What we really need is a way to do the uid->username mapping in a
> thread-safe way.  Could we check the environment for $USER or $LOGNAME?
> Could we require them to be set for thread builds on OS's without
> getpwuid_r and in cases where the username is not specified in the
> connection string?

Maybe not as popular, but what about breaking backward compatibility and
require the DB name to be specified, no username fallback? How many
applications really rely on that feature? And people who are used to it
from the commandline can set PGDATABASE in their .profile to get it back.

Jan