Re: generic insert into table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: generic insert into table
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7-6-2004 23:29, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> please CC me, I am on digest
> ---------------------------------
> I have the following code from an application that is 'mysql_centric'. I
> want to make it generic across all databases, if it's possible,
> especially postgres :-)
>
> mysql version:
>    INSERT INTO calendar_setting SET setting='colorEvent',value='#C2DCD5';
>
> There is no data in this table at this time.
> Isn't this the same as:
>    INSERT INTO calendar_setting( 'colorEvent' ) VALUES ( '#C2DCD5');
>
> would this work on all db's?

Afaik your first example is equal to:
INSERT INTO calendar_setting( setting, value) VALUES ('colorEvent',
'#C2DCD5');

Your first example isn't really SQL-standard and you'd perhaps better
try using SQL-standard stuff as much as possible on MySQL aswell. The
INSERT ... SET-version of INSERT wouldn't be my version to use.

Best regards,

Arjen