Re: URGENT : StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Cannotassign - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Rob
Subject Re: URGENT : StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Cannotassign
Date
List pgsql-admin
Siddharth Rath (sirath) wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> I did run the script from http://myclass.missouri.edu/~atb6x2/NETSERV/NS_serverpl.html and it didn't give any error
andthe O/P of
> netstat -plunta | grep 5432
> (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
>  will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:54320           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      -
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:5432            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      9481/perl
> udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:54321           0.0.0.0:*                           -
>
> But I don't understand why I cant bind to the same port thru POSTGRES. Please let me know what to do now to resolve
this.

> Thanx and regards
> Sidd

OK, well given that that starts up (you ran it under the same user id
that you are running pg with, right?), you should (kill that perl
script) then try to start up pg under strace, that will give the
clearest indication of what is going wrong. If you use :

strace -f -e trace=network /usr/local/pgsql/bin... > s.out 2> s.err

it might reduce the amount of output from strace but try :
strace -f /usr/local/pgsql/bin... > s.out 2> s.err

also. If you have a web site where you can post the files and then
include the URL in your replies that might be better than trying cut &
paste parts of the output to the mailing list if the output is long (the
network one might be nice and short and contain the troublesome system
calls and responses if you are lucky).