Re: pg_dump --comment? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Campbell
Subject Re: pg_dump --comment?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Harald Fuchs wrote:

> Why don't you just do
>
>   ( echo "-- This is my comment"
>     pg_dump whatever
>   ) > dumpfile
>
> ?

How could I dump using the custom format, and then use "dumpfile" with
pg_restore to restore the dump? If I just prepend the comment to the
file, then pg_restore will choke, since the file won't be in the proper
custom format. I would have to remove the comment before sending the
file to pg_restore. Is there an easy way to do that? That can be easily
automated, and not take a huge amount of time given a 4 gig dump file
that must be modified?

Given those requirements, building a commenting mechanism into the
custom format would work out very nicely, I think.

Thanks!

- Chris