Re: turn WAL off. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marty Scholes
Subject Re: turn WAL off.
Date
List pgsql-general
tom lane writes:
 > To be blunt, you don't want Postgres.  Consider Berkeley DB or tinysql
 > or (holds nose) MySQL.  What you're after isn't
 > within the design goals for this project, either
 > as to disk footprint or disinterest in power
 > failure behavior.

Or, put the WAL files on a RAM disk (/tmp under Solaris, dunno for
Linux).  Soft links would do the trick nicely.  Make sure that you
understand that shutting down the machine, even cleanly, will likely
destroy your Pg installation.

I have actually done this temporarily during emergency Oracle recovery,
when it was important to minimuze reload time.  If the machine crashed
during the reload, I didn't really lose that much.