Re: Relocatable locale - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Relocatable locale
Date
List pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>

>>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>>>I'm confused. Can you explain the problem more clearly, please? Do we
>>>need to distinguish known apps with a known (relative) message
>>>location, from unknown libpq clients?
>>>

>>The problem boils down to the fact that libpq needs to find its data
>>files (in this case locale data, but it could be anything), but it
>>doesn't know its own location, so it can't use a relative path
>>reference as has been proposed.
>>

>I am wondering if we should use environment variables, and have our apps
>use putenv() to set it to the proper relative path.

It seems a bit roundabout, but might make sense. Maybe they shouldn't
override any value already present in the environment, just set it if
there is nothing there? Then the library could use the environment if
set, or fall back on a hardcoded path.

cheers

andrew