Re: PostgreSQL caching - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marty Scholes
Subject Re: PostgreSQL caching
Date
List pgsql-performance
Vitaly,

This looks like there might be some room for performance improvement...

 > MS> I didn't see the table structure, but I assume
 > MS> that the vote_avg and
 > MS> vote_count fields are in bv_bookgenres.
 >
 > I didn't understand you. vote_avg is stored in bv_books.

Ok.  That helps.  The confusion (on my end) came from the SELECT clause
of the query you provided:

 > SELECT     bv_books. * ,
 >            vote_avg,
 >            vote_count

All fields from bv_books were selected (bv_books.*) along with vote_agv
and vote_count.  My assumption was that vote_avg and vote_count were
therefore not in bv_books.

At any rate, a query with an IN clause should help quite a bit:

SELECT     bv_books. *
FROM       bv_books
WHERE      bv_books.book_id IN (
               SELECT book_id
               FROM bv_genres
               WHERE bv_bookgenres.genre_id = 5830
               )
ORDER BY   vote_avg DESC LIMIT 10 OFFSET 0;

Give it a whirl.

Marty